Sunday, March 4, 2012

Mystque In The Woods

February 20, 2012, Waterton National Park, Ski Cameron Lake and Forum Falls, solo, (the second half of my day skiing).

By the time I followed my tracks back to the east point in the lake it was around noon. I would be following my own tracks back across Cameron Lake so I was confident that I would have a more relaxed ski back so I paused at the east point for a break and a snack. The snow had gradually lightened up so I could now see the other side of the lake. I watched some other skiers along the west shore. I entertained the notion of crossing the lake to join their track but I had already broke enough trail. Also I remembered the places where there was water under the snow and I couldn't be sure that similar conditions did not lie between where I was and the west shore. Skiing over there would be a chance to revisit the west shore of the lake, it has been a couple of years since I have been there, but I chose the more 'comfortable' route of following my own track back. . I noted three Alpine Touring skiers doing a run down the slope just south of the west point on the lake. The air was calm enough now for me to hear their whoops as they slalomed down the mountain.
When I reached the north end of the lake many more skiers, snowshoers, and even a few hikers had arrived. My single track was now a well set ski track so I covered the distance of about 3 km., from the point to the trail head of the Akamina Pass, in about 50 minutes.

My total ascent so far was 509 ft. Max Elev. 5555 ft.

At about 1:30 pm. I started up Akamina Pass. There were lots of skiers and snowshoers on the trail now, so the trail was well packed. The snow had stopped falling and the sun even broke through momentary. It took me about an hour to do the 1.26 km. from the trail head to the pass. I had made good time, because the trail was well packed, so I decided to continue on another 1.6 km to Forum Falls. Akamina pass is also the boundary between British Columbia and Alberta. To the falls via the pass my total ascent was 482 ft. and the maximum elev. was 5956.

At about 3:45 pm. I started my fun ski back down from the pass. The tension of my ski on Cameron Lake was swept away by the shear fun of coasting back down the Akamina Pass trail. This was turning out to be the best of days.
Then I heard someone playing a flute, SWEET!
If you visit Cameron Lake in Waterton National Park during any time of the year you might just meet Demetre. Indeed he is well known because everyone that skied passed on that trail in brief time I visited with him greeted him with a cheery "Hi Demetre!".
I met Demetre the first time in April 2009. He is a bit of a mystic to me in that I don't know where he is from. I do know that if he had his way he would never leave the woods of Cameron lake. It is as if the mystic of his soul is inseparably interwoven with the mystic of the woodlands and mountains and waters of Cameron lake. He is the ambassador of aesthetics in that he seems to connect with everyone he meets that and in simple words he expresses the beauty and grandeur of his surroundings, " people come here and leave too soon" he says, " I don't want to leave", he continues, " just want to stay". I couldn't agree more with you Demetre, I couldn't agree more.

My total distance skied that day was about 16 km.

No comments:

Post a Comment