Friday, March 23, 2012

Bison and Burke

March 5, 2012, solo cross-country ski Flying Shot Lake trail to the Ukrainian Village.

This was a spontaneous ski that turned out pretty wonderful. I was driving east on Highway 16 and remembered that I had not skied or walked the Flyingshot Lake Trail in Elk Island National Park for well over a year. I stopped to check out the trail and a fresh cover of snow was a draw that I could not resist. I started about 7:30 am at the Flying Shot Lake trail head and skied clockwise until I came to a cut line. I check my GPS map and remembered the cut line takes me to the west boundary of the Ukrainian Village. I decided to ski the cut line to goose lake. I then skied a couple of kilometres south on the park boundary and back. This is a portion of the route skied during the annual Canadian Burkebeiner race.

http://www.canadianbirkie.com/

I accessed the Village by acrossing Goose Lake and my friend was generous enough to drive be back to my vehicle. There was no track set on this route so I had to break trail the whole way making it a More physically demanding ski but a very good one.

10.3 km

3 hours 29 min moving

stopped 1 hr 29 min. (doesn’t seem accurate).

Max elev, 2418. Total ascent 485 ft.

No comments:

Post a Comment