Tuesday, March 27, 2012


March 7, 2012, Ski near Bonnyville Beach, Moose Lake, with my sister and her neighbor.

This ski track turned out to be not easy to find but well worth the search. I started out just tagging along but I ended up being the navigator. This seems to be maintained and monitored by the local residences and there are rules so pay attention to the signage. The track was in good condition and fast. This is a track with some topographical relief which makes it a fun run.

Total Distance = 8.27 km.
Moving time = 1 hr. 37 min. Stopped time = 15 min. My moving average was 5.1 km/hr. which is a pretty good time for me.
Max elev. 1878 ft. Total ascent 402 ft.


March 9, 2012, skied Campbell Lake, Hamilton House track, with my sister.

Spring like temperatures and new snow made the track fast to start with but when I got to the lake the snow was sticking to my skies so I put some roll on glide wax on. Then I had no kick for 15 minutes or so until the glide was wore off. I skied on that wax to the old grade okay then the snow was softening and sticking again. My sister took my skies and scraped the wax off and applied her yellow wax. From then on I had good kick and no snow sticking. We heard a Pileated Woodpecker.
Our moving averaged started out at 5.5 km/hr on the first part of the trail but that dropped to about 4.2 km/hr when we started breaking trail on the lake.
The total distance was 6.65 km.
Moving time was 1 hour 26 minutes, Stopped time was 19 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment