Saturday, January 7, 2012

Social Walking

January 1, 2012, Meet up walk, Highlevel bridge Hawreluk Park, U of A, 109 st.

Is there a better way to start out the new year than by doing a walk? I did this walk with seven other people and I know for certain that there was at least one New Year's resolution being honored by going on this hike, and very likely more than one. Besides, the day was pleasant and not too cold, which made being out and about all the more appealing. A topic of conversation on this walk was 'group walking', or what I have entitled, 'social walking'. Personally, I find a distinct pleasure in walking and chatting. I believe that the increase in blood circulation created by the exertion of walking also stimulates one's mind, therefore, conversations, in my opinion, are more stimulating while walking, than when sitting still. I also find walking alone is a time for me to reflect and contemplate, but I learned from the conversations on this walk, that few or none of the other people in the group like to walk alone. If you have read my past Blog entries you will know that I do many of my hikes and walks solo. I am very comfortable being out on my own and I have even done some fairly extreme hikes solo. Yet I rarely give this type of solitary activity a second thought. It will also come as no surprise when I say that among one's circle of friends, a person might not have even one friend who wants to hike or walk with you. However, if you live in Edmonton there are a number of groups and organizations that bring people together in an organized walk.
There are two Meetup groups I have found that are dedicated to walking on a regular basis: Fit & Active 50 + or - Meetup Group has a regular Sunday afternoon hike and Edmonton Hiking/Walking Meetup Group organize walks on Thursday evening and Saturday morning. There is also the New Edmonton Outdoor Club. These are the groups I know about but I am sure there are quite a few more out there.

Total km about 12
Time was about 3 hours 30 min.
1:30 pm to about 5 pm
Maximum elevation 2819

Before I post this entry there is one other thing that I want to also mention. Several members of the walking groups I walk with have cleats that can be fastened to their walking shoes. These are to prevent slipping and falling on icy surfaces. As a result of the freeze thaw weather that Edmonton has had there is ice everywhere and these cleats are a valuable piece of equipment. They range in price form about $20 to $50. I don't use them but I still consider them as money well spent by those who do use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment