Monday, January 9, 2012

More Mill Creek

January 2, 2012, Walked the Lower end of Mill Creek to the Muttart Conservatory and back.

The Monday after New Years was another day of fair weather and a good day for a walk so it took no more than a suggestion from a friend to persuade me to go. I have walked the Mill Creek Ravine a few times lately but there is always something there to capture my interest. This time the walk took my friend and I to the lower end of the ravine then across Connors Road and over to the Muttart Conservatory. There is a small ski hill in this area and I think the park is called Gallager Park. As we walked along the lower end of the park I realized that it was at this park, back in the 70's, where I went sliding a few times. I had memories of those times but I had pretty much forgotten where it was that I had been. So the lights went on, so to speak. I did quite a bit of reminiscing during that part of the walk.

On the way back we got on the south side of the Connors Road and into some interesting terrain. There were no trails, just tracks to follow through the trees. Eventually the tracks dispersed and the terrain pushed us back to Connors Road so we crossed it and walked the upper end of Gallager Park. A couple of Crazy Carpets left at the top of the hill were a serious temptation to try sliding but we spotted the probable owners on the hill and thought better of helping ourselves to a ride.

We eventually worked our way back up to the top of the ravine which took us a short way through a residential area and then back down into the ravine.
This was a nice walk and a chance to visit and revisit the less travel parts of Edmonton. For me this is a pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

I estimate the walk at about 5.5 km. we did it in about 2 hours time.

No comments:

Post a Comment