Tuesday, January 24, 2012

On The Beaten Track

January 8, 2012, walked with my granddaughter on Pothole Creek in Magrath.

During the first months of 2008 I took regular walks along Pothole Creek in Magrath. Sometimes I would walk alone and sometimes I would walk with my sister and brother in law. I had intended to return and do the walk again but never quite managed it until this walk. There has been some recent maintenance and construction on the trail.

This is a relatively short walk but pleasant with a bit History and natural history. To get access to the trail drive south on South 1st Street W and on the east side of the Covered Wagon Campsite there is a sign for Nature Trail users to park there. Watch for the placard about the settlers named Dudley and about the Irrigation head works. There is also a sign saying that Leopard Frogs have been reintroduced to this creek. Perhaps I will return in the spring or summer see or listen for the frogs.

Distance walked 2.78 km

54 min moving. 3 min stopped

Max elevation 3233ft.

****

January 12, 2012, solo walk in Lethbridge.

Often when I have some spare time I will take a walk. If I walk solo then I will ponder and reflect on some of my 'conundrums of life'. Such was the case on this day. I had no specific destination or route. I started my walk at 2 ave. near the Galt Museum because there was a place to park on the street there. I followed the paved walking path down to the Fort Whoop-up Museum.

I have walked this way a few times before and I made a Blog entry about it in April 2009. I walked the Indian Battle Park and under the the huge Lethbridge railway trestle. There were no beaver splashing about this time but there were Canada Geese still on the river. When I walk in the winter there are fewer people on the trails so winter walks are more solitary.

On this walk I went by the Helen Schuler Nature Centre. It was closed but the nature centre organizes various events. To check out what is on the schedule go to: http://www.lethbridge.ca/Things-To-Do/Nature-Centre/Pages/default.aspx

Approximate distance 5.5 km

Time was about 2 hours.

No matter where I am there is always a path to follow and places to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment