Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Urban Walking


I often incorporate my walking into a daily routine or sometimes walking is a means of getting from place to place. The next entries are walks of a recreational or utilitarian nature that I logged. Not that exciting I know but I still want them on the record. If you have set a goal of a minimum number of kilometers a day that you want to walk I find that such a goal can often be met merely with a walk to the grocery store or the bank.
March 20, 2012, walked West Lethbridge to the bank and back, solo.
Started around 8:30 pm finished around 9:30 pm.
Distance: 5.02 km.
Moving time 1 hr 1 min., stopped time 13 min.

March 21, 2012, walk West Lethbridge, solo.
Started 6:40 am and ended about 7:20 am.
Distance: 4.16 km.
Time: 48 min moving.

March 22, 2012, Walk West Lethbridge solo.
Started at about 6:40 AM and ended at 720 AM.
Distance: 4.49 km.
Time: 55 min moving. 3151 max elev.

March 23, 2012, Walk W. Lethbridge, solo.
Distance: 4.8 km.
Time: 1 hr 7min. moving.

By filling in a bit of free time with a walk I was able to log about 18 km in a few days.

Next I have a friend who talks about walking a Half Marathon so it got me thinking about doing a longer walk like that. I was scheduled for some surgery that I knew might limit my walking for a few weeks to a month so I took this opportunity to try the longer walk.

March 24, 2012, walk W Lethbridge, the river valley, the University of Lethbridge and back through West Lethbridge, solo.
I started around 9:30 AM finished around 3 PM. I took a short break about half way to eat and drink. I want to mention the Richardson Ground Squirrel or what most people call the Gopher. Over the past week I have started to see a number of these critters. As they emerge from their burrows they are one of the signs that spring has arrived.

Distance: 21.2 km. (yellow line)
Time: 5 hr. 15 min moving, 35 min stopped.
I clocked an average moving speed of 4.0 km/hr., but my walking speed got as high as 4.2 km/hr. which seemed a nice easy pace for me.
Total ascent 789 ft. max elev. 3111

No comments:

Post a Comment