Thursday, May 10, 2012

Outpost Wetlands Natural Area

April 28, 2012, walk Outpost Wetlands Natural Area, solo.

When I visited Police Outpost Park last January 14 the Outpost Wetlands Natural Area were of interest to me and I concluded that I must return to the area in the spring. Since the area is posted as being closed to public access from May 1 to July 31 I had to visit it soon or wait until the summer. My main objective on this visit was just to observe and peacefully enjoy what the wetland has to offer. As it turns out I was well rewarded for making the effort.
I started my walk at about 11:30 AM. Since my main objective of this walk was to make observations in the Wetland it wasn’t a strenuous walk at all. I had no sooner started my walk and I discovered Early Cinquefoil in bloom. 
 A settlers log house remains on the grassland in view of Chief Mountain.

 At the edge of the wet land just beyond the old building I paused for a moment and heard Sandhill Cranes very close. As I scanned the margin of the wetland with my binoculars a pair of sandhill cranes came walking out of the grass less than 50 metres away from me. I sat still as they walked past me. Seeing the cranes would have been enough to 'make my day', but as I wandered along the edge of the wetland I also saw Ring Necked-Ducks, Buffleheads, Hooded Mergansers, Trumpeter swans, and Cinnamon Teal. There were also warblers in the willows and a mountain bluebird perched on it's nesting box. In the distance were two eagles one being chased by the other. A Northern Harrier flew low over the marsh as a Redtail Hawk did lazing circles in the sky above me. Skillfully catching some the thermals as the sun warmed the earth below.
I located a Geocache in the Police Outpost Park and as I paused there to have my lunch I watched a moose grazing on the sedges at the far edge of the wetland.
I returned to my vehicle at about 4 PM well satisfied with my day. I went to a campsite to warm some soup and relax a bit. As I relaxed I could hear, in the distance, a Ruff Grouse drumming, a Common Snip winnowing, and the Boreal Chorus Frogs. All of the familiar sounds of  spring.

Distance: 5.98 (Measured it at 6 km)
Time: 2 hours 21 min. moving, 1 Hour 38 min. stopped.
Ascent: 176 M, Max elev. 1451 M

No comments:

Post a Comment