Thursday, December 15, 2011

Fall Walks

Oct. 5, 2011, Walk Demarias to Wabasca;Not every walk has to be an adventure. I would call this a utilitarian walk. I was dropped off at the grocery store and I walked most of the way back. The 4.5 km/hr pace I kept might be slightly faster than usual because of the dogs nipping at my heels.
5.8 km, 1 hr 17 min. Level walking on sidewalk averaged 4.5 km/hour.

Oct. 6, 2011 Somewhere West of Demarias.
Bill is a fellow I met in Demarias through a mutual friend. He is a hunter so he was hunting and was kind enough to let me tag along. This walk was along cut-lines and access roads.
6.8 km.

October 7, 2011, Canoe North Wabasca Lake.
I was hoping for clear sky and gentle breezes. I got a stiff breeze and a failed attempt to canoe to the Willow River on N. Wabasca Lake. I started out in what seemed to be calm but when I got to the point the wind picked up. I started to paddle across across the bay anyway but the breeze stiffened. I made it to the shelter of the point where the old channel of Willow River is and decided the wind was too strong and so it is in my best interest to get started back toward the point where I had launched. Fortunately I was going with the wind, generally. Paddling a canoe solo into a wind like that makes the canoe difficult if not impossible to control. The canoe rode the waves well but it took steady exertion to work against the wind and keep the canoe off the rocky shore. I did notice a lone swan flying over the lake and there are always eagles to be seen by this lake.
4 km, 1 hr.

Oct. 9, 2011, Walk In the Downtown Edmonton river valley.
I took this walk in the afternoon with a friend. It was a clear and warm day. There were still fall colors and even a few boats on the river.

11.3 km,

2 hours 56 min moving.

20 minute stopped.

526 total ascent.

2384 ft. Max. elev.

Oct. 10, 2011, An urban bicycle ride.


I rode one way from West Edmonton to South Edmonton.

14.9 km,

1 hour 8 min moving.

5 min stopped.

Total ascent 372 ft.

Max elevation 2386 ft.

Oct. 16, 2011, hike Mount Robson View Point trail.

While walking in the shadow of the majesty of Mount Robson how could I not be moved to write something.

"The streets of heaven are paved with gold - this is what I'm told. If it is so, then I have walked them this very day. I followed a path where a golden cloak of freshly fallen autumn leaves were lain chivalrously for me. I much preferred the path I trod today to one of shimmering gold. For leaves lain with hue and pattern in sun beam's shimmer seem so much more than gold."


Solo. 6.69 km,

1 hr 43 min moving. 58 min stopped.

Total ascent 1328 ft. Max . Elev. 4069. Left at 7:20 am returned at 10:00 am.

Later the same day I stopped and walked to Rear Guard Falls.

Solo 782 m,

17 min moving, 3 min stopped.

Total ascent 139 ft.

Then I did a contemplative and reflective walk in the Ancient Forest. Several trees have fallen on the pathway. Seem to be rather recently.

Solo 2.66 km,
1 hr. 9 min. moving, 14 min stopped.
Total ascent 427 ft.
Max elev. 2999.

No comments:

Post a Comment