Sunday, August 21, 2011

Frog Walk At Islet Lake

July 9, 2011
When I walk during the spring, summer and even the fall I listen and watch for Amphibians. I record any sightings and I then report my observations to the Amphibian Volunteer Monitoring Program, (http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/default/index.cfm/programs/wildlife/wildlife-projects/avamp/overview/Amphibian). This walk was to be just a walk in one of my favorite places. I had the willing company of two of my nephews. The walk turned out to be a frog counting expedition.
The Cooking Lake Recreational Area with its wetlands is a haven for amphibians but in past years low precipitation rates have drastically reduced suitable habitat for amphibians. Last winter's snow fall and this summer's rains has not been for the best summer for us humans, we like sunshine, but the amphibians are having a great summer. The frogs in particular seem to be having a great year and I can imagine their happiness this summer. That is assuming frogs can feel happy, but back to the walk.
The three of us started our walk from the Islet Lake Staging Area and hiked the Highline trail first and then hiked back on the Middle trail and returned to the staging area on the Lost Lake trail. This was an evening hike and during this walk we counted well over a 100 Northern Wood Frogs and 6 Boreal Chorus Frogs.

Here is the distance and times for the hike.
5.21 km
1 hr 29 min moving
10 min stopped
Max elevation 2669



No comments:

Post a Comment