Saturday, August 20, 2011

Bertha Lake, Waterton National Park


July 4, 2011
This hike started out as a few of us planning to do a day hike up to Bertha Lake but it grew into a family get together. People aged in their 70,s and young Issac who was 5 and who walked just about every step of the way himself.

A perfect day for a hike in the mountains. The Bear Grass was in bloom along the trail at the lower elevations this is quite a contrast to when Ken and I hiked to Bertha Falls on February 15, 2011. I am not sure if this is when the notion of hiking to Bertha Lake was conceived. I think the hike to Bertha Falls was a test to see how feasible it would be for some older folks to hike to Bertha Lake.

It was a little above Bertha Falls that I encountered the first bit of snow. As it turned out there was quite a lot of snow still on the trail. In fact I think the snow was knee deep if not hip deep in some places. Hip deep for at least some of the shorter hikers. When I drained my water bottle I just filled it with snow and eventually, as the snow melted, I had more water. Some individuals hiked on to the out houses at Bertha Lake and reported quite a bit of snow on that trail. It appeared to me that continuing the hike around Bertha Lake would be very difficult because of snow. There was also one patch of ice still on the lake.

I just took a few nuts and a a granola bar with me to eat on the hike, which I did not touch. I found ample offers of food when I got to the lake and curiously enough I returned with more food than I had left with.

But I digress. This trail to Bertha Lake is well traveled and there were many hikers on it on this day. I even noted on person hiking it without shoes.

The total distance hiked was about 12 km.
I think we hiked a total of about4.5 hrs to a maximum elevation of 5918 ft.


No comments:

Post a Comment