Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Momentum


March2,
Walked about 2 km just to catch the LRT downtown and back.

Saturday March 5,
Saturday afternoon I went skating. First I went to William Hawrelak Park. One circuit around the pond there is about 1 km. The ice on the pond is in fair to good condition, meaning that it has rough areas but it can be skated without too much difficulty.
In Hawreluk Park I skated 6.5 km in about 30 minuets. My average speed was 10.3 km/hour

From there I went to the Victoria Park rink. The ice at Victoria Park is generally better maintained because it is where the speed skaters practice. The ice at Victoria Park was good to very good. I was able to maintain an average speed of about 12 km/hour for just under 30 minutes and I skated another 6.5 km.

Total distance = 13 km

Monday March 7,
In the afternoon I went to Rundle Park.
I skated 10 km there.

Tuesday March 8,
Blackfoot Lake Recreational Area
Today was a good day for cross-country skiing. It was a sunny day with little wind. The ski trails in this rec. area are well defined and in good condition. I started out at the Blackfoot Lake Staging Area. I started out on the Whitetail Trail and skied to the Springs Trail. Then I skied the Springs Trail to the Heron Hollow Trail. I skied down the Heron Hollow Trail to the Elk Island Park Boundary then I skied south for a short distance along the park fence until I came to Blackfoot Lake. Next I skied the lake out to the island where the Great Blue Heron colony is. From the colony I continued down the lake to the end of the island. I then looped back north and returned to the Heron Hollow Trail. I then returned to the staging area the same way I came.

While skiing on the defined tracks I was able to maintain an average speed of about 5 km/hour but once I got to the Park Fence there was no trail so I had to make my own trail. Breaking trail slowed me down considerably. In some areas the snow held my weight and skiing was reasonably easy but in other areas I sank into the snow that was at least 1 metre deep. Progress in the deep snow was indeed slow.

Total distance = 6.5 km
Time = 2 hours moving 35 min stopped
Average speed = 3.3 km/hr

The total distance for this entry = 31.5 km

Total to date = 100 km

No comments:

Post a Comment