Friday, March 25, 2011

Akamina Pass in March



Solo Cross Country Ski March 24. 2011

Vehicle to the Akamina Trail Head 1.5 km
Moving time is about 20 min

Trail Head to the Pass 1.5 km
Moving time is about 40 min.

From my vehicle to Akamina Pass
3 km
59 min. moving 10 min. stopped
3.1 km/hr moving time
total ascent 443 ft.
max. elev. 5951 ft.

Ski from Akamina Pass back to Cameron Lake road
1.5 km
18 min. 2 min. stopped
5 km/hr moving ave.

Akamina Pass to Cameron Lake and Back to the truck

6.02 km total
1 hr moving time
5.2 km/hr ave. moving time

I started to ski at about 4 pm and I skied to the trail head of Akamina pass and then I decided to ski into the pass. My time from the trail head to the pas was about 40 min.

The ski back out was a bit exciting as there was sufficient slope that I did not feel totally in control and ended up falling a few times. But the ski out seemed to be over in no time (18 min.).

I was back at the Cameron Lake road at about 5:50 pm so I decided to ski to Cameron Lake. On the way back from Cameron Lake I took the trail through the trees back to the truck. The snow conditions were ideal and the trail was fast so I got some nice gentle down hill skiing.

I got back to my vehicle just before 7 pm. This was an excellent time.

Total distance = 9 km
Total time = about 3 hours

The snow is high enough now so that you can ski over the barrier across the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment