Sunday, March 23, 2014

Just Over A Year Ago




March 1, 2013, I hiked the Devil’s Garden trail in the Arches National Park, Utah, with my brother. Started the hike about 10:00 AM and hiked to the Landscape Arch first, then the  Double O Arches, where we met people from Equator. Then we hiked to the Navajo Arch where we met people there from New Mexico. Returned to the van at about 4 PM.
Hiked 9 km in about 4 hours.

March 2, 2013, Today I did a few short walks in the Mesa Verdi, Colorado with my brother. We also took the Cliff Dweller Tour was was only 1.6 km and it took us about 1 hr. and 30 min.

March 4, 2013, first thing this morning I went for a short walk around the Water Canyon Camp Ground, New Mexico.  Next my brother drove to the Large Array Radio Telescopes near Magdalena, NM and my brother and walked around there which took about 1.5 to 2 hours walking estimated 3 – 4 km.

March 5, 2013, I walked around The Alamo historic site, with my brother and then went on the River Walk. My brother said he would take me on the River Walk so I was imagined this would be a long walk through a park. The walk turned out to be not quite what I expected. It was a walk along the river but it is in in Downtown San Antonio and we were walking through malls and outdoor cafes and shops. My brother showed me where he had seen a Bittern, not far from the hotel he had stayed at, on a previous visit to San Antonio. I find it odd that he was a bittern here in an urban area when I have only ever seen them in rather remote marshes. We started the walk at around 7 PM and ended it at around 8 PM. and it was about 3.3 km. 

March 6, 2013, today I walked the beach at Corpus Christie. I started at 09:37 AM and  finished at noon at the Bob Hall Pier. the walk was 5.7 km.1 hr 54 min. This was my second time visiting any ocean and my first walk on the Gulf Coast. What else can I say but amazing. 
In the evening, walked the beach by the Seashore National Park for 1.6 km.

March 7, 2013, Today I bicycled the beach at the Seashore National Park. It is difficult to describe how much I enjoyed this. Just watching the birds and the sea life, ghost crabs and such. Later I stopped for a scheduled beach walk sponcored by the park service. I stared bicycling at about 10 AM and I was back by 12:15 PM and road about 17 km. I observed, Queen butterfly, Laughing Gull, Black Belly Plover, Sanderlings. Later in the day my brother and I rode our bikes on the Beach for another 3 km.

March 8, 2013, today I did a walking tour with my brother around the USS Lexington then we drove over to the Museum Of Art to see replicas of the ships the Pinta and Santa Maria.

March 9, 2013, today my brother and I drove over to Bird Island. I walked along the shore for about 2.3 Km.
When I got back to the National Sea Shore I played in the surf . In the evening I went for a walk with my brother we saw an Earless Lizard, Portuguese Man Of War,  and a crippled Crab. We walked the beach until we came to a Blade width road cut through the sand dunes. We wound up walking through the Park Administration and then we walked back on the paved road. We stopped for awhile and visited with some people by a pond with hundreds of ducks on it. I probably walked a total of 7.1 km today.

March 10, 2013,my brother and I visited the Aransas Wildlife Refuge.  we observed Cattle Egret, Turtles, a Carriage  Whip Snake, alligators, a big frog or toad, another unidentified snake and best of all 2 Whooping Cranes. This is the first time I have ever seen a Whooping Crane.  I did a walk by myself and my brother and I did a few short walks. 

March 17, 2013, I normally do not go into caves but I was persuaded to take the tour of the Inner Space Caverns near Austin, Texas. This is about a 3.2 km walk and it is all underground. We observed an Eastern Pipistrelle Bat.
This is the furthest I have ever gone underground and likely the furthest I ever will go. 

March 19, 2013,  my brother and I camped at Lake Mineral Wells State Park, so in the evening I took a bicycle ride in the park . My bike chain was so badly rusted from riding it in the Seaside Park  I had to get oil off the dipstick of the van and oil yje chain before I could ride my bicycle. I road about 7 km in 43 min.

March 25, 2013, My brother and I visited the did Petrified Forest, Arizona and we took the short walks, one walk was about 1.2 km. The that afternoon round 2 PM my brother and I took the tour of the Impact Crater which is a walk on the rim of the crater. 

March 26, 2013,  today I walked some of the south rim of the Grand Canyon, with my brother.

March 27, 2013, my brother and I walked the Watchman in Zion's Park, Utah.

March 28, 2013, I went for a bicycle ride in Rexburg.

March 31, 2013, Easter, I started out just before noon from a place in West Lethbridge and hiked into the river valley and then up to the U of L. I checked a Geocache that I had found last year and found it is in need of maintenance. Then I went looking for Crocus and Buffalo Bean but found none. I observed Mallards and Goldeneye ducks and perhaps a Canvas back. They were all in pairs. The gulls are back. My goal was to walk 10 miles but I was a little short of that as I only walked about 15.5 km. 


No comments:

Post a Comment