Saturday, February 4, 2012

Skiing on Home Town Hospitality

January 21, 2012. The Hamilton's ski track.


Is the place where, when people meet to on the street they know who you are, called home? If so then Cherry Grove is still my home. Just east of this the Hamlet is a marshy lake and near the lake is where the Hamilton's live and operate their Bed and Breakfast.


www.hamiltonhouse.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngJeVOW-3uE
GPS Coordinates are 54.369359,-110.052795


I would define Brian and Deb as avid outdoors people. Every winter they maintain a ski track on their land and an adjoining ranch which makes a circuit all the way around the lake which has no name on topographical maps but the local people call it Campbell's Lake. The circuit is about 6.5 km long. A nice 1 1/2 to 2 hour ski for me. The trail is entirely private but Brian and Deb work hard to maintain it and they have been most generous to allow me to ski there. I will be Blogging more about this trail because it is so convenient for me to ski there. On this particular day I went skiing with my sister. We started out around 2pm and finished in the twilight at around 5 pm. The track had been groomed at one time but someone drove their snowmobiles on it and wrecked much of the track. I had more than a few unkind thoughts about snowmobilers and I might have even verbalized those thoughts more than a few times. It goes with out saying to use respect when entering onto someones land.


There had not been a lot of snow this winter up until our ski so setting a good track had not been easy. During this ski there was a very welcome light steady snow fall, which allowed my sister and I to ski the 1km of road from her house to the Hamilton House ski track. Fresh snow is also excellent for observing animal tracks and I also got a fleeting glimpse of a Pileated Woodpecker in flight.


Total distance skied was 8.6 km.

2 hours 42 min moving

27 min stopped.

Maximum elevation 1851 ft.


On January 23, 2012. My sister and I Skied the Campbell's Lake track again. This time we went counter clockwise and took one of the short cuts back across the lake to make it a shorter route . There are lots of snowshoe hare tracks this year. Population numbers of the Snowshoe hare are known to go through extreme variations and the population is apparently rising or has peaked. There were also tracks of mice and voles, Red Squirrel, deer and coyote. You will be hearing more about the Campbell's Lake ski circuit for sure.


About 5 km.


Footnote: I also have notes for Nov. 16, 2011. when my sister and I walked around Campbell's Lake. This one didn't make it into my Blog.

That was an 8.5 km walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment