Sunday, August 30, 2009

Long Bay (Cold Lake)


August 26, 2009 I was able to return to Long Bay on Cold Lake and canoe along the section of shore line that I wasn't able to get to on August 13 because of the high swells coming in of the lake. The lake was more placed this time but not entirely calm. As I came around the point into long bay the water got a bit choppy. But as I followed the east shore I found myself in a sheltered area that was completely tranquil. It was a very pleasant contrast.

I then made my way along 'the weeds' to the west shore and paddled that for awhile. Observing a couple of King Fishers as I paddled.

This paddle is a bit nostalgic for me because I went to a small island that I had not visited for years, actually its been decades. The island is where the photograph was taken from. I paddled there a few times with friends and family decades ago. I even organised one of these at night time on an evening with only a full moon for light.

I landed on the island on it's west side and although it had been frequently visited by beavers there was little evidence of human visits. I was a bit surprised that this island would not be visited. My thought was how has this place escaped human attention when every other bit of shore line has not. Well as I paddled around to the east side of the island I found that in deed some has camped on the island on a regular basis. Fire pit and grill, tarp, and I picked up the beer cans and other garbage.

Total distance 13.0 km.
Moving time 3 hours 24 minutes
Stopped time 36 minutes.
Maximum elevation 1780 feet.

1 comment: