Monday, July 18, 2011

Robson Glacier, Adolphus Lake Day 3



June 29, 2011Day 3

Day 3 was a day of trying to stay dry and getting warmed up. there was a lot of contemplation and some discussion about suitable apparel in wet conditions.
We left the Berg Lake Campsite early in the morning and hiked to the Robson Pass Campsite. There are a couple of routes to the Robson Glacier. One follows the river and the other starts at the Robson Pass Campsite. There is a sign on the first trail showing where the Glacier was in 1911. The glacier has receded a couple of kilometers since then. There was even a noticeable difference in the position of the glacier now and where it was when hiked to it 10 years ago. The two photos taken from the Mum Basin do not show a significant difference but when you hike there it is noticeable. The trail to the glacier is well defined for the most part except where it gets into some rock and talus. It is then marked with cairns. We did manage to lose the trail for a short way but a quick check of our Track File had us quickly back on it. Jim found his walking poles of great advantage on this terrain particularly since a constant rain made the rocks wet.
Ten years ago while walking the glacial moraine we found a log partially buried in the moraine. I concluded that the tree must have be trapped in the glacier as it was advancing and then released from the ice as the glacier receded. At that time we quizzed the Park Ranger about this and he said that indeed some scientist had studied the tree wood and determined that it had be trapped in the ice for 3000 years. I studied this wood more carefully this time and it is still quite solid but I could detect no odder of spruce or pine and the heart of the wood has a faded hue to it.
I also noticed numerous small flowering plants establishing themselves on the glacial moraine.
Another curiosity was the milky look of the water in the river and to me it took on a rather unique greenish hue.
In spite of the rain this was a worthwhile hike.

This hike was 8.2 km. and about 3 hours 45 min. long.
Total ascent was 902 ft.
Maximum elevation 5639 ft.

We stopped for lunch at about 1 pm at the campsite where there is a shelter and fire wood, though we did not light a fire, and a tarp fly over the picnic tables. It was comfortable enough place to rest and eat. We then hiked on to the boundary between BC and Alberta and then on to Adolphus Lake. The rain was upon us then and we made our way back to camp. Jim and I pondered what makes the difference between a general rain and rain showers. By the time I got back my cotton T-shirt and long sleeved shirt were wet. I rested in the tent in hopes of drying out some but I didn't really get dry and warm until I started moving around again. I think Jim and I put up a Tyvek fly.
The day before we had visited with a young fellow from Munich. He gave us some good advice about apparel for rain conditions. When he saw Jim and I dip water straight from the river into our drinking water containers he was perhaps a bit puzzled that we were not filtering our water. He said "you guys crack me up".

Total distance 4.5 km
Total time 2 hrs. 10 min.

Total distance hiked on this day was 12.7 km.

It was June 24, 2001 that Ken, Jim and I hiked to the Robson Glacier. We talked to the Park Ranger Chris and he invited us to the cabin and showed us a photo of the Robson Glacier taken in 1908. Also we stopped at the Robson Pass Campground. I noted a Clark's Nutcracker came near by and rooted around in the litter beside a tree root.

PS: I neglected to mention: while preparing oatmeal for my breakfast on the porch of the cabin a Meadow Vole appeared along the wall. It became so bold that it ventured right to my feet and picked up a few pieces of oatmeal.

Found the trail head to the Snowbird Pass but this trail does not open until July 1st.




No comments:

Post a Comment